Friday 18 January 2013

Red and Green Salad


Here is another delicious salad combo that I just came up with. The inspiration behind this red and green salad was the beets we had bought from the farmers market. 

The base of the salad consists of Spinach and Parsley. On top we have Celery, Cucumber, Red pepper, and thinly sliced Beets! The dressing (which makes for two people) is half an Avocado, half of the juice from a Lime, 1tsp of Palm sugar(optional) and sea salt and pepper to taste! I am currently enjoying this salad as we speak :)

Baked Chicken and Beet Salad

Even if you are not a big Beet fan you are going to love this salad! This has become my new favorite salad to eat. I wish I came up with this myself but I have not, I found it on allrecipes.com. So whats in this pretty little dish that feeds 3-4people...

3 Beets peeled and cut up into little cubes. Then place in a pot, cover with water and boil for 30minutes or until tender when forked. 
While that is boiling you can wash and cut up Swiss Chard. I also added Kale. 
When the beets are almost done you can start cooking your bacon. The recipe called for 6 strips but I only had 3 leftover and it was a perfect amount. When the bacon is done, remove and take your drained beets and toss them in the pan. Now add your greens and 1 cup of frozen peas. Pat your bacon and and chop up into bite-sized pieces then add to pan. Stir around until greens are slightly cooked. Serve hot and enjoy!

We paired baked chicken thighs with our salad. I had already eaten a chicken thigh before taking the picture :p

2 comments:

  1. The Red Green Salad, are the beets cooked or raw?
    love the recipes, can't wait to try them

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are raw! The lime and avocado dressing brings out the sweetness in them! So good!

    ReplyDelete